This is the 12th part of a series of Lotus Notes Information and troubleshooting Tips
The Out Of Office message is an auto responder to any incoming email, advising the sender of the email, that the recipient is currently not in the Office. The agent that sends out the emails also sets the users calendar as busy during these days.
Troubleshooting the Out of Office
The most common problem is that the agent does send out any mails while the agent is set to enabled, or the agent has been disabled and the user keeps getting reminders that he should disable it.
The most important troubleshooting step is to check on the server if the agent is enabled, by the correct user, on the correct server, and if the user has the correct access level (should be at least editor). This is how you can check that:
- Is the Out of Office agent not working for just one person, or for everyone? If it is not working for everyone, it is more likely to be a mail configuration issue.
- Is the agent signed by an ID other than Notes Template Developers? If it is signed by another ID, this means some operations have been performed to change the agent. Is it a signature that you expected? (Server for Editor level users, mail owner for Designer/Manager users). If not, check the access level of the signer.
- If the agent is supposed to be running now, is the agent in the agent manager schedule queue?
- Are there any errors on the server console?
- If the user has Editor Access, are there requests issued on the user’s behalf in the AdminP task?
- Is the agent scheduled to run on the right server?
- Has the user been recently renamed?
Did the user’s ACL recently change? If the user’s access used to be a Designer and then was changed to Editor, the Out of Office agent may be signed by an ID that causes AdminP to fail.
DISCLAIMER: Be aware that these documents are made from information found online, and experience in a large corporation. This means that the situation you will have to apply this to might be quite different.
The idea behind this however, is to make you acquainted with the most common processes and inner workings of the software