Just to finish a post I started yesterday, I wanted to explain quickly what went wrong and what fixed it at the end. I’m talking about the problems I had trying to buy my domain with this site hosted on 000webhost.com.
As posted before, I tried a couple of things. Starting with a masked forward, then a normal forward, then a normal forward with a CName Change in the domain DNS records. None of these options where satisfying for me, for the folowing reasons:
- I wanted my blog to show as http://www.abiteof.com (masking is great for just the home page, but every click would take you to abiteof.freeiz.com)
- I wanted all the posts to show under that name, Ie. abiteof.com/Post Category/Postname (Masking is less great and kind of static…)
- I wanted Google, Bing and Yahoo to be able to index my site and all the pages under it (in none of the above way’s I managed to have them detect the metatags or special html/xml pages, this because when masking the domain host provides the website through on of their frames, and without masking they are indexed under the name of the domain abitof.freeiz.com)
The only way I managed to make this work is registerring a new site with this host, using the already created domain name.
Be patient. it does take a while. The message on the 000webhost control panel said 24/48 hours, but the change came through in 8 or 9 in my case. If you run a wordpress blog, or alike, you might need these hours to start configuring the site on the new hosting space. This has it’s tricks too!
Note: I found that this is how I set it up the first time, but that failed due to a complete lack of patience. I waited for about 12 hours but gave up and started playing with the other options.